Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Everything But The Kitchen Sink Italian Pasta Salad


    I have been craving pasta salad for a while now. However, if you have been gluten free for long then you may have possibly had an experience with pasta salad. It doesn't always work out. However I have found that if you use the right kind of pasta for the job, then it holds up well and doesn't turn to mush. I have made some very successful pasta salads using Tinkyada brand pasta. This is pretty much the only brand of gluten free pasta that I will eat. The other stuff is just junk. (keep in mind I am NOT being paid to say this ha).
    I decided today that I was making some pasta salad. I really want a creamy sauced salad. So I decided I would make Italian pasta salad. I didn't really plan ahead for this recipe so that's why I am calling it "Everything But The Kitchen Sink". I just pulled ingredients out of the fridge that might work. I had some mini pepperoni, green pepper, mushrooms, block cheese, frozen peas, Italian dressing and of course pasta. You can use whatever you have in your fridge to make your own salad. It would be great with other ingredients too.
     So keep in mind my recipe isn't something that you need to stick to faithfully. If you are a huge fan of green pepper, then add more of that in. If you hate cheese then leave that out (but how could anybody hate cheese? Seriously, we can no longer be friends). Just put in your favorite things.

Everything But The Kitchen Sink Italian Pasta Salad

3/4 Pkg of Tinkyada Brown Rice Spirals, cooked according to package
3/4 Bottle Italian Dressing
3/4 C. Cheese diced into small cubes
1/3 C. Frozen Peas
1/3 C. Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 C. Green Pepper, diced
1/2 C. Mini Pepperoni

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Run the pasta under cold water when it is finished cooking. When pasta feels cool to the touch it can be added into the mixture with the rest of the ingredients.

Combine the pasta, Italian dressing and other ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Refrigerate for several hours before serving to allow the flavors to mix and mesh.

While the pasta is cooking prepare the other ingredients.
Add the cooled pasta with the veggies, dressing, etc.
Toss all of the ingredients to coat. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. That will allow the flavors to mesh.
Enjoy!!

-Jessica


P.S. On Pinterest I had ran across a idea that said that if you put a wooden spoon over a boiling pot it will NOT boil over. So I put their little idea to the test today.

The idea worked better than if there had not been a spoon over the pan. However I still had a little bit spill over. Soooooo don't rely on that little tip to save you from scrubbing the stove top! Pinterest fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment