Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Melt in your mouth Strawberry Shortcake


      I grew up believing that those little round sponge cakes with the edge on them were the best vehicles for strawberry shortcake. My Mom would make homemade shortcake and I would turn my nose up at it. I was obviously miss-informed!
     Now that I have to eat gluten free those little spongy cakes are obviously out of the question. After making the recipe that I made today, I wouldn't eat those sponge circles if you paid me (even if they were gluten free). I am now a HUGE fan of homemade strawberry shortcakes (my way).
     I had seen a recipe for strawberry shortcake on the back of the gluten free Bisquick box. I thought I would give it a shot. However, as always I put my own twist to it. These melt in your mouth cakes may just become your new favorite too!

Strawberry Shortcake- Gluten Free

4 C. Sliced Strawberries (1qt)
3/4 C. Sugar
2 1/3 C. Gluten Free Bisquick Mix
1/2 C. Margarine
3/4 C. Buttermilk
3 Eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
Cool Whip or Whipped Cream

In a small bowl mix the sliced strawberries and 1/4 C. Sugar. (You can also buy strawberries in the freezer section of your grocery store that come sliced and sweetened.)

Pre-heat the oven to 425 deg. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. In a bowl combine the GF Bisquick Mix and 1/2 C of sugar. Cut the margarine in with a pastry cutter or fork. When combined, stir in milk, eggs, vanilla and almond flavoring.

Drop by the spoonful onto the cookie sheet (should make 6-8 shortcakes). Bake 12-15 min. or until light golden brown. Cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 min. Use a knife and cut the shortcakes in 1/2. Fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream or cool whip.

I used frozen strawberries, I sliced them and added sugar. You can buy strawberries that already have sugar added or you can buy fresh strawberries and slice them.
Cut the margarine with the Bisquick and sugar.
Add in buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and almond flavorings.
Drop by spoonful onto a baking sheet. My shortcakes seemed HUGE. I think I could have divided the mixture into 8 instead of 6.
Bake at 425 for 12-15 min. or until a light golden brown color. They will smell AMAZING!






I hope you like these as much as I did. I had to ship some of the leftovers out of the house so I didn't eat them all!!

Enjoy!

-Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment