Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pepper Steak: I Heart Stir-Fry


     This is one of my favorite recipes. I'm a huge stir fry fan. Stir fry is healthy, easy, and quick. LOVE IT! Oh and not to mention it tastes amazing.
     This recipe is great because you can either make it super spicy by adding more pepper flakes or tame it down by adding less. So if you have kiddoes you may want to use less spice. I personally like spice in my pepper steak. Mmm Mmm mmm
     I use a wok to do all of my stir fry cooking, but don't go out and buy a wok if you don't own one. This recipe could also be made in a heavy skillet. You may not get the exact same results, but flavors should be the same.
   Oh and also, I occasionally cheat and use frozen peppers and onions. That makes the prep time basically ZERO!! I love that. However, if you do have the time fresh veggies are the best. Even better if they are peppers and onions out of your own garden or from the farmers market when they are in season.
    Ok, I will shut up now and just get to the recipe :) Enjoy!!

Pepper Steak

2 T. Corn Starch
4 T. Beef Broth
4 T. Soy Sauce (gf of course)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2- 1 tsp. Red Pepper flakes (this is where you can adjust the spiciness)
1 lb top sirloin sliced thin
1/2 C. Water
3 tsp. Vegetable Oil (divided)
1 Green Pepper (cut into strips)
1 Red Pepper (cut into strips)
1 Onion (diced)

In a bowl combine: 1T. corn starch, 2 T. Broth, 2 T. GF Soy Sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add beef, toss to coat and set aside to marinate.

In another small bowl combine water, remaining cornstarch, broth, and soy sauce. Set aside.

In wok heat 1 T. Oil. Add peppers and onions. Stir Fry for 1-2 min. Remove from the wok and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the wok. Stir fry the beef. Return the peppers and onions to the wok with the beef. Stir in the corn starch mixture and bring to a boil. When the sauce is thick, serve over hot rice.
Use a fork and mix the ingredients together for the meat marinade
Add the meat and toss to coat. Set it aside so that it can soak up all the garlic, soy sauce, and red pepper flavors.
Stir fry the peppers. Here I have used a stop light mixture (red, yellow,green)
Remove the peppers from the wok, and stir fry the meat.
Add everybody back into the wok and pour in the sauce mixture. Bring to a boil to thicken the sauce.
Serve over some white or brown rice. (brown is healthier remember!)



     Just remember that not ALL soy sauces are gluten free. The majority of them in the regular grocery store contain wheat. Please read labels so that you don't end up with a non gluten free sauce. My favorite brand is San-J . I get their Organic Low Sodium Gluten Free Tamari. I don't cook with a lot of salt, so I like the low sodium.
    Enjoy your stir fry!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment